The Institute held at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, July 30-August 2, 2012, is designed this year to be more responsive to the educational realities of 2012.
It is time to...
- Focus foremost on the learner and the learning process
- Create curriculum and instruction that shifts the cognitive load from teacher to student
- Create curriculum and instruction that will prepare young people to live well and contribute positively to our modern world, and
- Cultivate the capacities most needed to do be able to do so, emphasizing:
- Enduring understandings that transcend content
- Creativity, critical thinking and problem-solving
- Self-knowledge and self-refection
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Communication and literacy
- Empathy & Tolerance
- Global Awareness