There are currently several organizations on Long Island that impact our Island workforce by developing partnerships with schools, colleges and universities. Aside from the typical career night at school or the occasional career days at universities, are there there other ways that schools are exposing students to different career options? How are job fairs at local universities advertised? Are there ways that we can reach out to our HS population using the Internet? How do vocational students get information they need to ensure a successful career path?

Views: 39

Replies to This Discussion

Hauppauge High School has recently created a School and Business partnership. Within this partnership we are creating career academies where students can enroll in an academy, complete special project requirements, complete required courses, and receive internship or job experience. When these students graduate they will receive a special certificate from the academy. We are still in the planning process, but it is progressing nicely.
When I was Director at Deer Park we began an Early College Program. Students begin attending Suffolk County Community College classes in the junior year.  The classes they attend to some extent is determined by their career interest, i.e., health, education, law, the arts, etc. Since my retirement in 2007 i continue to work with Deer Park and other districts in facilitating junior/senior enrollment in courses.

RSS

JOIN SL 2.0

SUBSCRIBE TO

SCHOOL LEADERSHIP 2.0

School Leadership 2.0 is the premier virtual learning community for school leaders from around the globe.  Our community is a subscription based paid service ($19.95/year or only $1.99 per month for a trial membership)  which will provide school leaders with outstanding resources. Learn more about membership to this service by clicking one our links below.

Click HERE to subscribe as an individual.

Click HERE to learn about group membership (i.e. association, leadership teams)

CREATE AN EMPLOYER PROFILE AND GET JOB ALERTS AT 

SCHOOLLEADERSHIPJOBS.COM

FOLLOW SL 2.0

© 2024   Created by William Brennan and Michael Keany   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service