As summer is approaching, many colleagues have asked me about the novels our students read for our summer reading program at ITHS. Being that all of us are always looking for books that will engage or students, I thought we might share the novels that are working for us. Currently the incoming ninth grade students in our district read The Body of Christopher Creed and we find that most students read and like it. it is a great book for transitioning to high school as it is about peer pressure and bullying. Our tenth graders read They Cage the Animals at Night, which the majority also love. These are our two success stories. The eleventh grade read is another story - Ordinary People. We find that many students do not get into it and therefore do not read it. Any suggestions? My goal for summer is to get the students engaged in reading something they enjoy.

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

?For summer reading, we give students a choice. For 10 into 11 we offer The Secret Life of Bees and Bleachers. Both were very popular. For 11 into 12, The Perks of Being a Wallflower was a favorite along with My Sister's Keeper and Kite Runner. This year we are adding a graphic novel, Persepolis, for 10 into 11. We have a written summer assignment for each level. This year, I plan to add extra help sessions over the summer for those who need it.
Rina Beach - Lawrence

RSS

JOIN SL 2.0

SUBSCRIBE TO

SCHOOL LEADERSHIP 2.0

School Leadership 2.0 is the premier virtual learning community for school leaders from around the globe.  Our community is a subscription based paid service ($19.95/year or only $1.99 per month for a trial membership)  which will provide school leaders with outstanding resources. Learn more about membership to this service by clicking one our links below.

Click HERE to subscribe as an individual.

Click HERE to learn about group membership (i.e. association, leadership teams)

CREATE AN EMPLOYER PROFILE AND GET JOB ALERTS AT 

SCHOOLLEADERSHIPJOBS.COM

FOLLOW SL 2.0

© 2024   Created by William Brennan and Michael Keany   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service