I Paid My Child $100 to Read a Book

Sept. 2, 2024 

By Mireille Silcoff

NY Times

Summary of "I Paid My Child $100 to Read a Book" by Mireille Silcoff

In her New York Times article, "I Paid My Child $100 to Read a Book", published on September 2, 2024, cultural critic Mireille Silcoff describes her unconventional approach to getting her 12-year-old daughter interested in reading. Struggling to instill a love of books in her daughter, who seemed more captivated by her smartphone and social media, Silcoff resorted to bribery—offering $100 for the completion of a novel. While the method may seem extreme, Silcoff reflects on its success and the broader implications for parents and educators trying to encourage reading in a digital age.

The Challenge of Raising a Reader

Silcoff’s daughter, despite being academically bright, never developed an interest in reading for pleasure. Although she read school-mandated books and occasionally engaged with graphic novels and audiobooks, the habit of reading long-form, text-based material had not taken root. As a lifelong reader, Silcoff felt this gap was a parenting failure, especially in light of alarming statistics showing a significant decline in reading for pleasure among teenagers. According to a pre-pandemic federal survey, almost 30% of 13-year-olds reported that they “never or hardly ever” read for fun, a stark increase from earlier generations.

Silcoff recognized that her daughter, like many teens, was drawn to her smartphone for entertainment and socialization. Although Silcoff imposed limits on her daughter’s screen time, the appeal of instant gratification from technology seemed insurmountable. Attempts to promote reading through promises of new books and personal bookshelves failed to spark her daughter’s interest.

The Turning Point: Cash Incentive

In a last-ditch effort, Silcoff decided to offer her daughter $100 to read a book of her choice within a month. After initially expressing surprise, her daughter accepted the offer. Silcoff chose The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han, a novel already familiar to her daughter due to its popular TV adaptation. The plan worked. On a family vacation, Silcoff’s daughter completed the book ahead of schedule and even requested the sequel, which she finished in two weeks without further financial incentive.

Reflections on the Value of Reading

Although the financial reward was a success in motivating her daughter to read, Silcoff remains uncertain whether this will lead to a lifelong love of books. Her daughter’s newfound interest in reading may not result in her devouring classics like Little Women or The Catcher in the Rye, but it opened the door to the possibility. More importantly, Silcoff believes the experience introduced her daughter to the quiet, reflective space that reading provides—a contrast to the constant stimuli of social media.

Silcoff acknowledges the irony of paying her daughter to read but views the investment as worthwhile. She hopes that the joy and personal insights gained from reading will resonate with her daughter and serve as a lasting resource for emotional and intellectual growth. As she concludes, the $100 spent was not just an incentive for her daughter to finish a book, but a gateway to a new world of learning and self-discover

Original Article

------------------------------

Prepared with the assistance of AI software

OpenAI. (2024). ChatGPT (4) [Large language model]. https://chat.openai.com

Views: 37

Reply to This

JOIN SL 2.0

SUBSCRIBE TO

SCHOOL LEADERSHIP 2.0

School Leadership 2.0 is the premier virtual learning community for school leaders from around the globe.  Our community is a subscription based paid service ($19.95/year or only $1.99 per month for a trial membership)  which will provide school leaders with outstanding resources. Learn more about membership to this service by clicking one our links below.

Click HERE to subscribe as an individual.

Click HERE to learn about group membership (i.e. association, leadership teams)

CREATE AN EMPLOYER PROFILE AND GET JOB ALERTS AT 

SCHOOLLEADERSHIPJOBS.COM

FOLLOW SL 2.0

© 2024   Created by William Brennan and Michael Keany   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service