Those of you who are fortunate enough to be a part of this group (or any group that works with the integration of technology) know that technology integration can be challenging when applied in the classroom. How worth the effort when you "see" results. How do we measure excitement? love for learning? engagement?

Today's keynote was the Director of Next Vista for Learning, Rushton Hurley. Not only was the audience engaged when using "clickers" (eInstruction.com) as he was determining audience background, technology usage, and our philosophy on testing, but he did what every good presenter does - he taught.

Rushton Hurley introduced (or re-introduced) the audience to some neat Google Tools: Sketch Up (free), Google Earth (free), Flicker and browser extension, PicLens. What can you do with these tools? Create architectural drawings, 3D shapes, determine time of day it is with a shadow tool, locate places around the world and visit "virtually", create a virtual word wall, the list went on and on...

He then showed instruction using video - HS students building self-confidence using tools that engaged them, captured their attention, and made them feel like they belonged. Finally, after talking (not too much)...he did what any good teacher would do, and using those "clickers", he asked us what we thought of his presentation. In front of everyone. And shared his results. Scary.

And yet not. Because what we speak about when we talk about the dangers of testing is that we need to have different types of assessments to measure success. Whatever that success is for each one of us.

Ok so those were my thoughts. What did you think?

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Blanca,
I thought the keynote was great. This was the first time I was able to participate in a keynote using the classroom response system. We are starting to use these throughout my elementary school. I have posted some info that I captured from the workshops and keynote.

Smart Exemplary Educator
Google Educator

RSS

JOIN SL 2.0

SUBSCRIBE TO

SCHOOL LEADERSHIP 2.0

School Leadership 2.0 is the premier virtual learning community for school leaders from around the globe.  Our community is a subscription based paid service ($19.95/year or only $1.99 per month for a trial membership)  which will provide school leaders with outstanding resources. Learn more about membership to this service by clicking one our links below.

Click HERE to subscribe as an individual.

Click HERE to learn about group membership (i.e. association, leadership teams)

CREATE AN EMPLOYER PROFILE AND GET JOB ALERTS AT 

SCHOOLLEADERSHIPJOBS.COM

FOLLOW SL 2.0

© 2024   Created by William Brennan and Michael Keany   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service