What is 'Don't say gay' law?'Don't Say Gay' is a moniker critics use to refer to the Florida's Parental Rights in Education Law (HB 1557). The 'Don't Say Gay' bill was signed into law last year by Florida governor Ron Desantis (republican).
Here is what the law says:
"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."
Florida governor Desantis downplayed these criticisms referring to it as mere 'sloganeering' and part of 'woke gender ideology'.
As an educator, I do stand with LGBTQ students, teachers, educators, and parents in Florida and everywhere. I am hoping that the law will be repealed at some point because it carries huge risks for a wide portion of students.
Even before the introduction of the law, suicide rates among LGBTQ students were already higher in comparison with their straight counterparts. According to Trevor Project, when LGBTQ teens are provided access to spaces that affirm their gender identity, rates of suicide attempts are decreased.
Teachers and parents should definitely resist any legislation that discriminates against students because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. I believe that the trend of civic rights and personal freedoms is going downward in the States.
There are many precedents to the 'don't say gay' law. For instance, the Stop Wrongs to Our Kids and Employees Act (Stop WOKE), prohibits the teaching of critical race theory.
Taken together, these laws are a harbinger of where we are heading to in the near future. Freedoms are being severely curtailed and censorships are enacted under phoney pretexts of protecting children.
- The actual law document HB 1557, Florida House of Representatives
- What you Need to Know about Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” Law, National Education Association
- The Dangerous Consequences of Florida's "Don't Say Gay" Bill on LGB..., by Meredith Johnson
- What Educators Should Know About LGBTQ+ Rights, by National Education Association
- What You Need to Know About State Laws Attacking Transgender Youth, edjustice
- Confronting Anti-LGBTQI+ Harassment in Schools: A Resource for Stud..., by U.S. Department of Education
- New CDC Data Shows LGBTQ Youth are More Likely to be Bullied Than S..., Human Rights Campaign
- National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health 2021, Trevor Project
- Florida's governor signs controversial law opponents dubbed 'Don't ..., NPR
- Florida law limiting LGBTQ discussions takes effect — and rocks schools, the Washington Post
- The Fear and Fury of These Florida Parents, the Washington Post